A GAZ-4 with a cargo-and-passenger pick-up body is a logical continuation of the perfection and modernization of the first domestic middle-class car GAZ-A. Modernization was carried out in the framework of the Red Army motorization program and fell in the middle of the 30s. The car was intended to increase the mobility of army units and improve the transport logistics of military units.
As a way of modernization, it was decided to equip the body of a phaeton-type passenger car in a pick-up body. This made it possible to create a cargo-passenger platform with a loading capacity of 500 kg, designed for transporting 6 passengers or various cargoes weighing up to 500 kg. After viewing the prototype of the new machine by the Red Army Commission, it was decided to begin mass production. For these purposes, production facilities were provided to the Gorky Automobile Plant and the Moscow plant named after the Communist Youth International, KIM.
The GAZ-4 was mass-produced from 1933 to 1937. Altogether 10,648 cars left the assembly line of Soviet factories.
Technical parameters of the car GAZ-4
- No load mass: 1.08 tons.
- Number of seats in the cabin: 2 people.
- Dimensions: length - 4080 mm, width - 1710 mm, height - 1825 mm, clearance - 205 mm.
- Engine: GAZ-A. Type - 4-cylinder, carburetor, power - 40 hp
- The wheel formula is 4 × 2.
- Fuel consumption per 100 km: 12-13 liters.
- Load capacity: 500 kg.
- Maximum speed on the highway: 90-100 km / h.
- Cruising on the highway: up to 215 km.
The GAZ-4 was widely used in the pre-war years in the national economy. During World War II, especially at the initial stage, the vehicle was used as an important element of the military transport infrastructure of the Red Army.